No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV forum
Answered

Expected Cost for Quoting Purposes

(0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by 470

Hi all,

I am trying to find a way to estimate costs of finished goods for quoting purposes in NAV. It should take into account the scrap factor, which could vary when we try to project how well production will go (read : a varying production yield.)

I first considered the BOM Cost Shares, but I noticed it's probably not suited for predicting future costs. It's a nice tool to compare actual costs with that for production that occured recently (our costing method is FIFO) but it has its limits.

I then looked at the Simulated Production Orders, which could be okay, but changing the scrap factor directly in Production Order Routing doesn't seem to impact anything within the Production Order. The only way to change something in the costs would be to edit the routing in Product Design, then refresh the Production Order to see a difference in expected costs. I'd rather avoid this step, if possible.

Do you have any advice? Are we then using the embedded NAV Tools properly? If not, what should we change?

Thanks a lot,

Casper

• Casper Leibowitz Profile Picture
    Casper Leibowitz 470 on at
    RE: Expected Cost for Quoting Purposes

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your help. Your solution does work. The only thing that is not mentioned anywhere in the SPO help is how to properly update costs within the Simulated Prod. Order. After editing the scrap factor in the routing (not in Product Design), when you get to the "Refresh Production Order" step, you have to uncheck the Lines and Routings checkboxes, before refreshing the SPO. Otherwise, NAV will just copy the original BOM and routing form "Product Design" again, erasing whatever modification you may have done in the SPO.

Thanks again!

• Verified answer
    Miguel Llorca Profile Picture
    Miguel Llorca User Group Leader on at
    RE: Expected Cost for Quoting Purposes

You should change the routing, etc with the new costs, but not though "product design". You can change it directly for your "simulated prod. order" -> "line" -> "routing" :-)

Good luck!!

Notification

Same message with small change for comment - "Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,876 Super User

Ludwig Reinhard Profile Picture

Ludwig Reinhard Microsoft Employee

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,425 Super User

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans